There are a lot of things you need to plan for when you travel. Finding a flight, booking a hotel, and making a checklist of places to visit at your destination are certainly going to be top of mind. However, you should also take steps to protect your smile and prevent a painful dental emergency. The experienced Lone Tree dentists at Meadows Dental Group suggest that you:
- Get a checkup before you leave: Many dental issues don’t cause symptoms in the early stages. It’s only when they progress that they result in sensitivity, discomfort, or pain. Our dentists can detect and treat common problems before they sneak up on you.
- Keep your toothbrush clean and dry: Dirty and damp toothbrushes can do more harm than good. When not stored properly, they can harbor harmful bacteria. Consider traveling with your toothbrush in a resealable plastic bag and opening it at your hotel.
- Pack sugarless gum: Chewing sugarless gum is an easy and effective way to prevent cavities. It stimulates saliva and rinses bacteria off the surface of your teeth. As an added bonus, chewing gum can also help alleviate ear pressure during a flight.
- Brush with bottled water: There are some countries where the water supply is compromised. If you are camping or backpacking, you may also have limited access to clean water. In these situations, brushing with bottled water can reduce your risk of falling ill.
- Resume your routine when you get home: If you let your dental hygiene slip while you were away, don’t continue that trend after your trip is over. Use the opportunity to get back into the swing of things. Recommit to your dental habits once you come home.
You’ll never regret prioritizing your oral health on vacation. Meanwhile, if you put it on the back burner, you might experience a painful and inconvenient dental issue while traveling.
Schedule Your Next Dental Visit Today
Our dentists can make sure your smile is travel-ready. Whether you are brand new to our office or a returning patient, you can reach our team at 303-790-2323 to schedule an appointment. Meadows Dental Group serves Lone Tree, Centennial, Highlands Ranch, and nearby areas of Colorado.